Thursday 17 November 2016

That thing I said about livery bills...

I may have mentioned that I do a bit of writing for Horse & Hound. Here's my latest article for them - a £16 bill from your farrier and other horsey 'misunderstandings.' Couldn't believe the response I got when I put a shout-out for true horsey confessions up on Facebook. Hundreds of people happily admitted lying to their partners - shocking, really. I mean, I would do it too, obviously, but mine reads the truth in my articles for Horse & Hound so there's not much point!

Talking of painful truths, I've just discovered that it will cost me £100 a day for my horses to be looked after for me while I'm away in Lanzarote over Christmas. £100 a day! I almost fainted from shock, and I still feel a bit sick reading that. Next month's livery bill is going to be more than my entire month's salary. Admittedly, I work part-time, and the whole reason I went back to a salaried job in an office after a year's freelancing from home was so I could afford a second horse. But even so, being kicked in the bank account really hurts. How can I quickly make a bucket-load of money? All I can think of is selling a kidney, but mine are probably ruined from years of wine indulgence, so I doubt they're worth much. Busking is out, as I live in a tiny village with hardly any inhabitants. And I can't sing. Although they might pay me to stop singing. That's a thought!

Anyway, I need cheering up, so here's a photo of me jousting. I love this photo.


I have what appears to be a thoughtful, noble expression on my face but actually I was really hot and grumpy in the chain mail and struggling to lift the pike, which was really heavy. And the horse was about 18 hands, so really hard to mount while wearing armour, and she also kept neighing wildly for her boyfriend in one of the surrounding fields. Put me right off a career as a knight, I can tell you. It's quite lucky that hasn't really been an option since about 1698.

Anyway, if you can think of any get-rich-quick schemes which don't involve selling my body or any parts of it, give me a shout!





No comments:

Post a Comment